South Stradbroke Island is one of our favourite places to visit when we are back on the Gold Coast spending time with our family and friends. This week was a great opportunity to try out one of our easy camping meals.
This time we were treated to a delicious cook up with our lovely friend Bec, head chef of Tipplers Cafe – a South East Queensland institution renowned for its laid back beachside environment and mouth watering fare.
Whether you’re visiting the island for a day trip, or staying over at one of the 3 campgrounds, Bec’s Thai Style BBQ Fish is an easy camping meal to cook up on one the free gas BBQ’s, after snagging yourself a fresh catch of fish.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 very small knob of ginger, peeled
- 1 coriander root, washed well and chopped finely
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kaffir lime leaf, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 fresh local fish fillets
- 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds
- Washed coriander leaves for garnish
- Pound the ginger, garlic, kaffir lime leaf, salt, pepper and coriander root in a mortar and pestle to a paste. Add spices and coconut cream and continue blending to a smooth paste.
- Rub the fish fillets with the paste.
- Heat the BBQ and brush some vegetable oil onto the BBQ hotplate, drizzling the rest over the fish fillets. Make sure the BBQ hotplate is hot before you add the fish, as this will help to stop the fish sticking to the BBQ.
- Place fish fillets onto the BBQ and resist moving them or flipping them until the fish is cooked at least 2/3 of the way through.
- Once the fish is 2/3 of the way cooked through, then flip and finish cooking.
- Serve drizzled with sweet chilli sauce, wedges of lime, coriander leaves and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
Other Easy Camping Meals
- Lemon-Lime Coconut Slice
- Aussie Beer & Lemon Myrtle Damper
- Super Duper Summer Salad
- Damper on a Stick
- Nanny’s French Toast
- Weber Gingerbread Cookies
- Seafood Pasta
- Thai Style BBQ Fish
- Tasmanian Apple Crumble
- Seafood Sanagaki