The wonderful thing about being back “home” on the Gold Coast, is the precious time we get to spend with friends and family before we hit the road again. This week we spent Australia Day catching up with some very dear friends, relaxing and hanging by the pool, and sharing some deliciously healthy and easy camping meals.
This super delicious Aussie damper never fails and is a great alternative to baking a fresh loaf of bread. Historically prepared by swagmen, drovers, and stockmen, and baked in the coals of a campfire or in a camp oven, damper is about as Australian as it gets.
We love serving ours warm with butter, or with jam and cream as you would scones. And it makes a great accompaniment to soups, salads and other main meals.
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 60g melted butter (*melt butter over low heat)
- 1/2 can of your favourite Pale Ale
- 1 drop of Lemon Myrtle essential oil*
- Place a trivet into your Weber and heat on full heat for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to half way, to ensure a low/medium heat of around 190 degrees celsius.
- Grease a baking tray or pan with a small amount of butter. We use our Weber pizza tray with a sheet of baking paper.
- Combine flour, salt and melted butter in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or butter knife. Slowly add the beer a small amount at a time, while stirring. Continue to add small amounts of beer until the mixture forms a dough.
- Knead dough for 1-2 minutes and flatten into an oval shape. Score the top of the dough, place on baking tray, and bake in the Weber for 40-45 minutes, checking after20-30 minutes.
- When your knife comes out clean, your damper is ready!
- Best enjoyed warm with lots of butter!
* When cooking with essential oils we recommend using only the highest quality, purest oils available. We choose,,dōTERRA Essential Oils for this reason.
Other Easy Camping Meals
- Lemon-Lime Coconut Slice
- Aussie Beer & Lemon Myrtle Damper
- Super Duper Summer Salad
- Damper on a Stick
- Nanny’s French Toast
- Weber Gingerbread Cookies
- Seafood Pasta
- Thai Style BBQ Fish
- Tasmanian Apple Crumble
- Seafood Sanagaki